Thursday, January 12, 2012

Good 2 way mid/tweet + crossover combo for 300?

Both Tweet and mid will be housed in sealed kick panels in an 05' Subaru legacy GT



Mid: I live in Minnesota, so I am not sure on what type of Cone to go with. Humidity isn't really an issue. Looking for a 6-7" driver. Depth is not an issue.



Tweet: Prefer Soft domes. Loved the sound of my Silks on my DLS Ultimates. Diameter isn't an issue. I can not mount in A pillar, or on dash or in door. They need to be in kick Panels.



Crossover: I do plan on sticking with passive, however I do have Alpine Imprint which would allow me to go active.



Amplifier: Memphis MCA 3004.

75 RMS @ 4 ohms x 4 channels

230 RMS @ 4 ohms x 2 channels





I will be using a 10" Image Dynamics subwoofer (sealed) in the trunk.



Budget is around 300. Would like to order from sonic electronix, madisound, parts express, woofers etc. or somewhere like so



Previous Component speakers used:



old school boston pro's: too edgy, harsh metal domes

DLS UP5i: Not much to complain here, however mid bass lacks! Cant expect much from a 5" mid tho lol



thanks everyone!Good 2 way mid/tweet + crossover combo for 300?
A guy with an SQ set-up in yahooanswers...I don't f*ckin believe it ;-)!

I think I have similar tastes to you and I know what you're saying about overly harsh or bright tweeters...I prefer the silk domes myself. I am personally a huge fan of CDT audio. Their components are super-detailed and clear but without causing listening fatigue. Also, since you will have the speakers in kick panels, you'll want something with a "boostable" tweeter. The CDT's give you the option on the crossover of -3db 0db +3db. These are the one's I have and I have been completely happy with them...I think you would have to spend a lot more to get something noticably better:

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-4894-ef-61ne鈥?/a>

Check CDT componets on woofersetc and see if there's anything there you like better; but I've had a few pairs, and the linked ones above are my favorite. As far as midbass goes...the components I have are good for detail midbass (i.e. bass notes in instruments and vocals) but are just decent for "punchy" drum-related midbass. Given the bigger cone area, they will probably be somewhat bassier/punchier than your Boston Pro's. Also, the CDT's have a woven-fiberglass woofer cone which has a nice smooth/mellow tone.

Realize too that some of the "harshness" from your Boston's came from the Alpine (semi-bright headunit) and although I'm not too familiar with Memphis I can tell you that the amplifier can make a big difference when it comes to the brightness of the tweeter. My components, for example, sounded smoother and warmer on my Rockford than they did on my Eclipse. BUT I would still expect some degree of mellowing from the CDT's since they do have a silk-dome tweeter and they pride themselves in making a non-listening-fatigue tweeter.

Good Luck!

*********************************
Edit

Active crossovers can make a big difference BUT (I'm not sure how familiar you are with active crossovers) you'll still need to use the passive crossover AND you need to make sure you have crossovers that have a separate woofer/tweeter INPUTS.

No comments:

Post a Comment