Monday, January 23, 2012

Is it necessary to take the RI boating course in order to get my boater's license?

I'm 14 and would like to get my boating license. My brother (19) and his friend/boss (43) just got a 27 year old Boston Whaler. It is 18 feet long and has a 150 horse power engine. My brother's friend grew up around both sail boats and motor boats. He has had multiple boats before and is willing to help me learn. They are both confident I can learn how to handle the boat by studying on a website. I sail 420's over the summer and know a lot about the water. I know there's a lot to learn but I'm sure I can learn most from the website. What I can't learn from the website I can learn from actually driving the boat. I have heard from some people that have a boater's license that I have to take a course to get my license but others have told me I only have to take a test to earn it. I would like to know whether or not I have to take the course or can I just study and take the test. THANKS!!!Is it necessary to take the RI boating course in order to get my boater's license?
while it is probably much easier to go through the boat ed boaters safety course first, RI does offer a Challenge exam where you can take the boaters safety test without taking a course.



for more info on the proctored Challenge exam go to the web site below



http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bnatres/e…



from the web site





"There is no registration and no fee for this exam. There is also no age limit, but be advised that this test deals with material that may be complex for younger children. We highly recommend taking the full boating safety course to insure you and your family understand the material required to operate and navigate vessels on the water safely. If you have chosen the challenge exam as the method of certification, you will need to study information presented in “Boat Rhode Island, A Course on Responsible Boating” and “The Handbook of Rhode Island Laws and Responsibilities”. Both publications are available either on the web through the online course or by contacting DEM/Environmental Police at (401) 222-3070 for the home study packet."



hope this helpsIs it necessary to take the RI boating course in order to get my boater's license?
All you have to do is follow the instructions at boat-ed and take the online course. Pass the test... and that's it. It really is that easy.



The course is going to teach is "boat %26amp; boater safety". It can't teach you boat "handling"... That, comes from hands on experience.



Good Luck,

John

No comments:

Post a Comment