Monday, January 23, 2012

Have you ever gone to see your team play on the road and been harassed by the home fans?

The worst for me is one time in Hartford about 12 years ago I almost went at it with a couple of drunk Whalers fans. I was in Sabres gear. Of course if I remember myself back then, I was probably just as guilty.





I go to Sabres games now at MSG, Long Island and Boston and never have any problems.





What problems have you had?


|||Never really harassed, there is good natured ribbing back and forth but never anything I would call harassment.





I am also polite, if I go to a Habs game in Ottawa, Boston or Quebec in the old days, I will cheer for my team but I won't sit there and say Bruins suck.





Obviously I attend more home games and really enjoy talking to the out of town fans. First of all, if they traveled from Philly here for the game chances are they are a real hockey fan and you can have a better hockey discussion with them than they local fan on the other side of you that knows the habs and not much else.





By the same token when I am in another teams barn, the fans I am talking to quickly realize I am a fan of the game, I know the players on their team and I can discuss the positives and negatives of their team at a slightly higher level than Bruins Suck.





I was at a preseason game in Ottawa last year for the Habs and the guy behind me is giving me the gears all game as the sens are up, when the habs tied it at 4 I was a little exuberant in my celebration and stayed standing a bit too long. He is grumbling about sitting down so I turn to him and say, oh you can't see the replay- That was a great goal wasn't it. The rest of the sens fans around us were laughing too. The key is to be funny, witty and polite and not act like a neanderthal|||I'm a Rangers fan living in Philly. I've gone to every game the Rangers have played here and for the most part, the Philly fans stick to yelling "You suck" "Go back to New York" and "Go back to Sweden" (I was wearing a Jagr Jersey so I am a little confused because he's Czech) Occasionally, they are down right nasty and throw food and push. I've also gone to games in Toronto (Leafs fans are amazing people. they didn't heckle us, just booed the team.), Washington (Again, great fans, a little trash talking but all in good fun) and the Devils (whose fans are the worst. I was shoved by a woman in Parise jersey while waiting in line for the bathroom) All teams have good and bad fans and I think it has a lot to do with drinking. I also think if I was a guy it might be worse. |||I'm a Bruins fan, and I used to go to Boston Buffalo at the old Aud. My dad would take me, when I was barely 8. I'm 23 now, and I still remember those douche-bag Sabre's fans harassing me,a little kid.





To this day I despise everything Sabre's





On a positive note, one of my best memories is of my dad kicking the **** out of some asshole who was harassing his 8 year old kid. Good times. I can only hope to be as good of a dad to my boy|||I have never personally been harassed at a game by another team's fans, but once when I was at a Flyers game (I am a Devils fan) I saw another man wearing a Devils Jersey about a section over and there was some drunk Philly fans and they started to punch that guy and when he tried to defend himself quite a few more Flyers fans actually jumped in and got him on the floor. I couldn't really see what was happening but the security did come rushing over and even though some of the Flyer fans weren't letting them in eventually two big security guards came over and got them off of him. Pretty sure they were thrown out, but the Devils guy's face looked horrible and he was bleeding a bit. |||I have a tendency to wear a opposing teams jerseys or other gear to a roadtrip game. Columbus in Chicago, Buffalo in Columbus, etc. Being a smallish female it's only evoked a bit of light-hearted smack talk and smiles from the home team's fans except for one incident that didn't amount to much.





I was wearing my beloved Roenick Flyers' jersey in Tampa when this drunk guy who was trying to impress his date spent two solid periods harassing me (yeah, Mr Big picking on a petite female, lol). By the time the third period rolled around, he was so wasted he couldn't tell which player was which. Long story short, he made an a55 of himself and the chick wasn't impressed.


|||agreed.. i think we all know that there won't be as much hospitality towards a fan for the opposing team, as much as there would be if you were a fan of the home team...





but i had a question up on here about 2 weeks ago asking who couldn't stand the flyers fan, because i think that BY FAR they are the worst fans to be in a stadium with...whether its a home game or away game. they are just totally and completely rude...and it "was in violation of Yahoo Answers" which pissed me off, because i don't see how.. but yea FLYERS FANS SUCK!!!! coming from a DEVILS%26lt;3 fan.. and you should have seen how many people agreed with me on that.





idk if you heard about the flyers game against the devils, where it was at the flyers stadium and one of the flyers fans through a flare, lit up and everything onto the ice when the ref announced they didn't get a goal...and all the flyers fans were blaming a poor lone devils fan who was just there to watch the game|||A couple years ago at a Sharks game I wore Habs gear (toque, tshirt, jersey, sweats) and a drunken SJ fan not only spilled a beer on my jersey (one I've had since grade 10 I am in my 30s now) but then he said "Fu*k you Chicago" while hurling (not a baseball or playing the Irish sport)





Side note: the tickets were $95 each (third row up by the glass) and the Sharks put a serious hurting on Theodore, it was like 6-1 :( If that wasn't enough we missed the train (had left the car at my place) so my gf at the time (who was a Sharks fan) and I had to take a taxi home which was another $150 or so.|||the only away game i've attended was the steelers at chargers back in 2006. luckily there were a TON of steelers fans there and we weren't harassed too much, but walking back to the car, some drunken charger idiot fan wouldn't stop yelling at me and my husband. he kept saying 'go home a$$holes, you guys suck, you're f*cking p*ssies'. i only didn't verbally spar with him because 1) he was drunk and you can't win a fight with a drunk since they know it all, and 2) we were in a stadium parking lot 3,000 miles from home. i did manage to stump him on 'how many rings does your team have?' (0 to the steelers 5) and all he could manage back was 'we just won our superbowl'. mind you this was like the 5th game of the season. idiot. i was pissed off but ya know, that's just the kind of sh*t you can expect going into an opponents stadium. |||I went to a Sabres game in Philly and this guy kept turning around and LOOKING at me every time the Flyers scored a goal. Even if they were behind. He was really annoying. Then a kid above me dropped his hat down to my seat and he was yelling, "Yo, Sabres fan!" and I pretended I didn't hear him for a few seconds.





I went to a Sabres game in Pittsburgh and the old lady behind me told me to sit down for the shootout.





So no.|||I used to get harassed at MSG all the time. If you saw the movie "Invincible" where the girl shows up at the Eagles game wearing Giants gear. It was like that when I went to an Rangers -Islanders game with my friends. "Hey,hey, he's with us" Wearing my NY Islanders Stanley Cup Champions T-Shirt would get them especially riled up, at least before 1994. But it never got to the point of a fist fight.|||haha no, but during the stanley cup playoffs when the rangers played the pens at mellon arena (HUGE PENS FAN) there was this guy with his little girl (around 7 years old) walking in wearing rangers jerseys, so of course EVERYONE going into the arena stared at them and all 1000 people (literally 1000) started booing them! it was great.. until the little girl starts crying! then i felt a little bad, but everyone kept booing them all the way to their seats.. while the girl was bawling her eyes out the whole time|||Saw the Wings in Columbus and had no problems. Kinda surprising since Michigan and Ohio hate each other over just about everything.





Must have been that about 2/3 of the people at the game were Wings fans though. Still a great time and a great place to see a game.|||I'll get the occasional "Leafs Suck" comments in a lot of buildings, but that element is best ignored.





I don't feel the need to engage that element, so I ignore it. I also don't feel the need to be the guy standing up and acting like a jackhole. I'll cheer if the Leafs score a goal, but that's about it.





Oh, and having a touch of cleverness...works wonders.|||Not really. I've been to away games in Toronto, Atlanta, and Tampa pretty much every year that Detroit comes down. I've had people make a joke or two, especially if my team lost, but I hardly call that a problem. For the most part I have always been really comfortable at these games. |||I have seen the Flyers play 2 away games.One in Washington and the other in New Joisey and I had ZERO problems at either place.When I go to different places I like to have fun with the other teams fans so I never have a problem.Can't wait to see them at MSG or the Molson Center.|||yup, it happened this season like yesterday, it was NASHVILLE against the Canucks but nashville got pummled by the canucks, 4-0 wow i was so pissed and someone just poured beer on me... but i got free beer though|||Some of the Sabres fans at the Winter Classic were pretty bad, but I suspect there were a lot of away-fans that were just as rowdy during that game.|||I went to see my team play in Dallas last year and had no problems whatsoever. there were actually a rather surprising about of Sens fans there.

No comments:

Post a Comment